Chasing Cheerios

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Baking Bread and Making Butter

O and I made honey oatmeal whole wheat bread in our bread machine this morning. She loves helping to pour the ingredients into the machine. She also helped cut the butter. She tasted the honey again, and she really liked it this time. She kept sneaking bits of it while we worked.

After she woke up from her nap, O and I made butter! We had leftover cream from making ice-cream, so we decided to give it a try. To make butter you need a jar, a marble, and whole cream.
O put the marble in the jar and held the jar while I poured in the cream. I closed the lid tightly, and we took turns shaking it. O shook it 2 or 3 times then tried to open the jar. She REALLY wanted to see the marble, and she got upset when I wouldn't let her open the jar. She got over it when I turned on the music and started dancing while shaking the jar. She helped some, but I did the VAST majority of the shaking :) After about 10 minutes, I couldn't hear the marble anymore. I poured off the liquid, and we had butter!
Here's a piece of the bread with the butter. The marble is still in the butter :) The bread looks a little deformed, but it tasted good. The butter was delicious! O wanted to just lick it off her fingers, but I convinced her to have a little bread with it. We used the whole jar, so we had to make another jar to share with dada!

3 comments:

  1. I would have never thought to do that to make butter! I'm doing that with my two preschoolers today! Thanks for your great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun stuff!!! i need to make butter sometime with the girls!!!

    we made homemade hamburger buns and hotdog buns this week they were soo good i'll never buy buns again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We made the butter in my classroom, but it didn't work. I wonder if it is because we didn't use a marble? Hmmm.

    I've left a present for you over at my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete