Chasing Cheerios

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Homemade Sound Cylinders

I made these homemade sound cylinders using lotion containers that my mom, sister, and I have been saving for about a year (specifically for this purpose). Each container has a match, and I put lentils in 2, marbles in 2, and bells in 2. There are stickers on the bottoms of the containers, so that O can self check to see if she is correct. Here are directions for this work. We've done this work once, and it didn't go well. O was not at all interested in listening to the sound cylinders, and she only wanted to open the containers. We'll try it again once we start back with our Montessori school in a few weeks (or whenever the new shelf is built!).


6 comments:

  1. Fun! Maybe it will work this time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute idea! since finding your blog I have been looking at everything differently! when I go into Target or the Dollar tree, I'm thinking....this would be a fun activity for our little guy. We've been working on colors using a color activity kit from our local smart start resource center and he loves it. thank you again for the inspiration!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute! i hope it works this time! sometimes what doesn't work one day they are totally into the next day! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Empty film canisters work well too. You can get them free at the film developing places if you ask. Just glue the lids down afterwards.

    I love your blog and your ideas are great! Keep up the great work! You are very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job with the sound cylinders. They look perfect. Maybe next time you can try to do this task when O is wearing a blindfold? Good luck anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer . . . the link to the directions no longer works. I think I have a good idea, though.

    ReplyDelete