Chasing Cheerios

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Making Chalkboard Paint & Slime

Since we have a new chalkboard, we thought it would be fun to make chalkboard paint. We used these instructions.
O practiced her pouring skills by 1st pouring 1/4 cup of cornstarch into a bowl. She then poured in 1/4 cup of water. She stirred a little, then I helped her mix it together well.
She chose to make her paint blue since its her favorite color. I thought the blue was really pretty when she was stirring in the food coloring.
My niece also joined us in this fun activity.
The kids had fun painting on the chalkboard, but the red paint was the only color that really showed up.
After painting for a while, we poured more cornstarch in a dish, added some water, and had LOTS of fun making slime. I think my sister and I may have had more fun than the kids :)
These were definitely activities that you want to do outside! We just used a garden hose to rinse everthing off, so the cleanup was fast and easy.

Here's their artwork. Beautiful, right?

6 comments:

  1. I just wanted to tell you that this is my favorite blogsite. My daughter will be two this Saturday. Her and O remind me so much of each other. I am so happy to find a site with so many awesome ideas for activities and links to more activities. I check this site several times a day. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job we make this at least once a week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa,

    I can't remember how I stumbled on your blog but I'm so glad I did. We are unschoolers but I've been looking for some activities to do with my 3yo and your blog is so great! There is a lot I'll have to modify and make a bit harder but I sat down with paper and went through your blog making a list...it's really been helpful and I'm excited to put some things together for her. I was wondering if you have a recommendation for a blog with activities I could do with my 7yo as well? Thanks,
    Brianna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, ladies!
    Brianna- Let's Explore and The Crafty Crow have great ideas that would be suitable for a 7 yo, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like so much fun! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. we love making that stuff... you really have to do it on the sidewalk.. it comes out almost flourescent... it is amazing... it goes on wet looking then dries in about a minute so bright..

    ReplyDelete