Chasing Cheerios

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Miniature Matching Game

I can't remember where the idea for this miniature matching game came from. I think I saw it on a blog about a year ago. If anyone knows, let me know :) To make this game you need as many bottle tops as you can find (Thanks, Auntie EB for saving your bottle tops for us!). I cut cardstock circles to fit into the bottle tops and put tiny matching stickers on the cardstock. Quick, easy, and fun! First, the girls matched the pairs while looking at them. O was much more interested in playing with the leftover stickers :)Then we turned them over and played a game of memory. There were too many pieces for a 2 year old, and O was not at all interested in playing. My 4 year old niece loved the game, and we had fun playing!
I can't wait to make more memory games using bottle tops! I think it would be very funny to make one using the faces of family and friends :) I'm adding it to my list! This would also make a great category sorting activity. Once I add a few more tops to the game, I'll show O how to sort the fruit, vehicles, clothing, and animals into their categories.

9 comments:

  1. Wouldn't the pictures inside bottle tops be a little small for youngsters?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They could definitely be a choking hazard if your child still puts things in his/her mouth. I keep a close eye on O, but she rarely puts things in her mouth anymore. Is that what you mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been saving the lids to many JUICY JUICE jugs for the past three years, wondering what I would ever do with them. Now I know! Thanks for this idea! I'll link to you on my post once I make my set for my four year old son. I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute! I love the family pictures idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat way to make a common activity novel!

    Not gonna happen in my house for a long time, though. I have a toddler and an older child who both put EVERYTHING in their mouths.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute idea!

    BTW I just posted about my must-read blogs & you are on the list :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did I miss this...I've been perusing your blog for months and there's still new things to find! I can't wait to make this to entertain my 2 1/2 DD when we're eating out (which we do on occasion and there are times that she definitely needs something to occupy her!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saved milk jug lids, and my 4y.o son is having a blast with them

    ReplyDelete