Chasing Cheerios

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Homemade Tortillas

O and I made homemade tortillas for lunch yesterday, and they were delicious! The recipe came from her Highlights High Five magazine (we LOVE this magazine!), and I adapted it a little. You need flour, salt, vegetable oil, vegetable oil spray, shredded cheese, and water.

1) Mix together 3 cups of flour (we used 2 cups of white flour and 1 cup of whole wheat flour) and 1 teaspoon of salt

2) add 1 cup of water and 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil (we used olive oil, and I added a little more water since we used whole wheat flour)

3) stir until mixture forms a ball

4) make 12 balls of dough

5) flatten the dough with your hands or a rolling pin

6) spray a pan with the vegetable oil spray (we didn't have any spray, so we just used olive oil), and cook each tortilla over medium heat for 2 minutes (we cooked ours a little longer because I like them when they are a bit crispy). Turn it over, add cheese, and cook until the cheese melts.



I was excited by how easy and fun this was! O had a great time tasting the dough. She kept asking "O taste?" Pouring the flour in the bowl
Mashing the dough with her hands
Rolling the dough with her rolling pin
Eating her cheese quesadilla. They were a little greasy since we used olive oil instead of cooking spray. Next time, I'll use a bit more whole wheat flour. O had lunch a delicious lunch of cheese quesadillas, blueberries, and tomatoes while standing in her kitchen helper while I cooked all of the tortillas :)

6 comments:

  1. Sounds good. and looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been a lurker for awhile - love checking out your blog for ideas :)

    We LOVE this magazine at our house too, we can never bring ourselves to get rid of an issue though so we have quite the collection going. At least the stories are just right for little mind's attention spans!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O looks like a little chef. I knew that she has been doing a lot of baking with u, what would you suggest as 1st baking lesson? I have been wanting to do some baking with my gal(almost 2yrs) but don't know how to start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love homemade tortillas!
    Your little girl looks adorable working that dough with her little rolling pin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahfat- I think we started making cinnamon toast with O. She started by sprinkling the cinnamon and sugar on the toast and then she spread the butter and sprinkled the cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Melissa. I do not know how to make cinnamon roll, but I get your idea, I will let her try to do something simple 1st.

    ReplyDelete