Chasing Cheerios

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Rocks and Frogs Memory Game

When Amber commented on the Shell Matching game that she may make a similar game with rocks, I knew I'd have to try it! Thanks, Amber! I have lots of river rocks from our recent mountain vacation, and I knew they'd be perfect :) I planned on finding insect stickers, but I never found any, and I loved these frog stickers the 1st time I saw them (although I didn't buy them until the 3rd time because I was being indecisive!).

O was very excited when she saw the rocks. We started by matching them face-up. Then I decided to play Memory with the rocks face down. I was not really expecting her to catch on the first time, but she understood immediately :) I made a big show of turning over one rock and then was thinking out loud trying to remember where the match was, and she quickly turned over the matching rock for me! I couldn't believe it :) We had a great time, and it was great practice for learning turn taking skills. I had to prompt her a few times to only turn over 2 rocks at a time, but other than that she GOT it! I'm really looking forward to playing more memory games with her, and I guess I should have started sooner. Although, I think this game is the PERFECT first memory game since the rocks are not identical and the differing sizes of the rocks give clues as to which stickers are on them.

10 comments:

  1. I found your blog today through Artful Parent. I have seen memory games made with shells before, and i love this adaptation you've made using flat rocks! I'm interested in the age of your daughter. Mine is 19 months and I'm wondering if she would be able to do this game. Also, did you do anything to cover the stickers or are they simply stuck to the rocks? (mod podge or anything). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable Melissa! Delaney has a real love affair with rocks and stickers -- I should have her help me make a game like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic! Your recent posts have really given me inspiration for my son's Christmas gifts this year. Did you "seal" the stickers onto the rocks somehow (mod podge, etc)? Thanks for all of the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments!
    Deanna- O is 25 months old.
    I didn't use mod podge on the stickers, but it's a good idea :) Some of the frog toes are already coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this! Very easy and doable. I'll have to give it a try when my daughter gets a little older, (she's just 3 months now but I love getting ideas for the future!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute! And the perfect thing-I already have those frog stickers. We used them for thank you cards after my daughter's first birthday(we had a frog themed party). Now I just have to get some rocks!

    Thank you for all your inspirational ideas. I made the other memory game using the wood squares and scrapbbok paper. So cute! I tucked them away for a Christmas gift as well.

    I don't know if your big on Halloween, but I found some small foam pumpkins and was planning on making a Halloween version of memory using Halloween scrapbook paper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. please make us this game!! we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so cute. I am going outside and finding rock right now. I love this idea. Your homemade are so inspiring. Thank you for sharing the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my gosh. I just love this. They are too cute. My daughter is 2 1/2 and your site is one of the best ones for practical ideas for her. Thank you! Blog on sister.

    Jennifer P

    ReplyDelete